Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Godfather Review

"The Godfather" is one of my all time favorite movies. It is one of the best movies ever made in my opinion. It was the first movie to influence me to like Mafia movies, such as "Scarface", "Goodfellas", "The Godfather 2 and 3" also, etc... This movie has a great story line to it that keeps my attention no matter how many times I watch it; except if I'm in Film Study and I just cannot keep my attention to any movie. The story line to this movie starts off with the traditional Italian wedding and the introduction to the Corleone family. In the beginning, the main character named Michael Corleone (played by the amazing Al Pacino), has just gotten back from being a war hero and has returned home to Brooklyn, New York. He is unlike his family and he tells his girlfriend Kay that he does not want to be a part of the family business. Don Vito Corleone even says that he does not want Michael to be involved with what him and his son Sonny do for a living. Throughout the story however, the audience sees a drastic change in Michael's personality as he becomes one of the most powerful mafia figures in New York. There are so many memorable scenes and lines in this movie that I have even quoted before to my friends. "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse", "Fredo, I love you, but don't ever take sides against the family again", "Alright, this one time I'll let you ask me about my business Kay." When the horse's head is cut off and placed in the famous Hollywood guy's bed, the baptism scene (one of the greatest scenes in movie history), and especially the ending scene. When Michael shuts the door on Kay and the scene fades away, it sends chills down my spine when Michael surrounded by the other mafia members and the true power he now holds is revealed to Kay. The last thing I loved about "The Godfather" was the music played throughout the story. The classical waltz and the theme song, there's something about the sound of these two songs that I really like. The Italian sound with the strings and the horns, it dictates the mafia personality extremely well and I really love the sound of it. This movie will always be a classic no matter how many times I watch it and it's one of the greatest movies of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment