Sunday, March 7, 2010
Cool Hand Luke Review
Cool Hand Luke, directed by Stuart Rosenburg in 1967, was a story about a criminal named Luke Jackson who is a very memorable guy. He gets sent to a prison camp for breaking heads off of parking meters, and that's when the real story begins. There were a couple parts I liked when he was in the prison camp. When he bets that he can eat fifty eggs in one hour...that was a pretty interesting thing to watch. When he gets challenged to a boxing match against Dragline, I found that scene to be very monumental on Luke's behalf. The way Luke keeps taking punch after punch and keeps on getting up after being knocked down, it was like watching something out of a Rocky movie. It was the first glimpse of the respect gained by the inmates to Luke and it began a little friendship between Luke and Dragline. After their fight, Luke was treated as more of an idol, and after the fifty eggs ate after that, he became more of a role model, cool guy to the others. One thing I noticed in the movie was that the prison owner guy had a very funny voice. Who is supposed to take a guy like that seriously with such a high voice. Also, the scene when the inmates are digging up the trench and the very attractive woman walks outside to wash her car. I found that scene to be very sketchy and humorous. The way Dragline acted, like an extremely perverted guy, just made the scene really wierd to watch. But, overall, this movie was okay...not horrible but I would not watch this movie again. Cool Hand Luke was such a cool guy in my eyes. He didn't care about the rules, he was such a rebel. The prison guards kept trying to break him down and Luke would pretend to beg and act nice to them, but when time came for a great escape, Luke was gone. Somehow, he escaped the camp twice, but I don't know how he kept getting caught. This is the only thing I did not understand about the storyline. One part he would be away from the camp, the next part he is being thrown into the inmate room and being threatened at by the guards and such. There was no real explanation on how he kept getting caught. Especially the second time when he plans out how to fool the dogs and not allow them to pick up a scent, how did he manage to be found again? It didn't make any sense to me. One thing I really liked for some reason about the movie (and no it's not the shower scene with all the guys Paul)was the line, "What we have here is a failure to communicate." I quote it all the time now and it annoys people very much. Thank you Cool Hand Luke. I'm going to have to say that my favorite scene of the movie is when Luke plays the banjo after finding out his mother has passed away. It was a very emotional scene and I enjoyed the singing that went along with the song. I also did not expect to see Luke die at the end. It was a very sad moment in my life. But overall, I thought the movie was good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment