Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Old King Kong Movie Review

I really did not care for the movie. The parts that King Kong was not involved in had no interest for me to be completely honest. I found it humorous when Kong appeared in the movie because of the difference of special effects between 1933 and today's movies. When they closed up on Kong's face after he picked up Anne, it looked like he was moving his eyebrows in a...sexy manner. I don't know, I found it funny. But, in all fairness to the directors of the old Kong movie, when I found out that they took 24 frames/pictures per second, I was really surprised. The patience involved in showing the transition between frames when Kong picks up the clay Anne model or when he fights the dinosaurs is amazing. There must have been a LOT of effort put into that movie (or movies back then in general). Anyways, besides the actual look of the movie, the acting was also humorous to me in certain parts. For instance, when Jack, Ann, the movie director, and all the people helping out sneak onto the island and find the tribe doing their little ritual activity, they get spotted. The director of the movie in the movie then proceeds to say "welp guys, they've spotted us" or something along those lines. The way he said it (in the most careless, relaxed way) just made me laugh. The acting was just terrible in some spots but without it, I would not have enjoyed the movie half as much. Another thing that caught my attention when watching this very old movie was, well there were two spots. One where Jack and Anne jump off the cliff to escape the natives and also when King Kong falls off the top of the Empire State building. The way they made the falls look in the movie (the use of clay or it looked like they were rag dolls) just reminded me of how far special effects have gotten in movies. The thought of people back then thinking that this movie was a breakthrough in entertainment is just amazing to me. When we watch the more recent King Kong, it will be like someone punching you in the face when the difference in special effects is shown. Yes, that is a metaphor, do not worry. What was actually good about this movie is the way the camera angles were used throughout the picture. For example, when Jack had the conversation with Jane on the boat and anyone could see a little love was in the air. Or, when Anne got captured by the natives and was then tied up and offered to King Kong. The movie angles perfectly shown the size of the setting, the fear in everybody (especially Anne), and it also showed the size and power of Kong when the audience catches their first glimpse of him. Between the usage of long shots, close-ups, low-angle shots, etc...the director can get the appropriate emotions out of the audience like fear, anticipation, etc... After stating all these things about the older version of King Kong, this just makes me look forward to watching the newer King Kong. The difference in special effects and such will be incredible. Although, as for the storyline, both Kong movies are basically the same. The only difference is that the newer movie is a lot longer in duration and the acting is a lot better! Jack Black is a great actor in my opinion...just throwing it out there. Oh, another thing about the older version of King Kong: i felt they emphasized on the beauty and the beast thing a little more than I remembered compared to the newer one. I think the idea of the usage of beauty killing the beast was a great idea for King Kong though because it represents the movie perfectly. King Kong meets Anne (or kidnaps Anne, same thing), and slowly becomes less mean and begins to protect Anne from other things on the island. Therefore, the beast in Kong disintegrates within him. It's a great theme to the movie and can summarize it perfectly. That is how I feel about the movie. I can't wait to compare it to the newer one though.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post david! I cant wait to read about what you have to say about our next movie :)

    ReplyDelete